Saturday, October 13, 2007

Child of the 90s

Can we just discuss for 2 seconds how I was completely reminded of the fact that I'm a child of the 90s tonight when I went to look for a random CD and flipped through said CD album (yes, I actually still have a CD album, get off it)?

What, you may ask, was my first CD? No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom. Um, yea. I remember buying it so distinctly (and by "buying" I mean using my allowance, earned for whatever piddly little tasks I did around the house and yard, which, I might add, usually ended in me getting poison ivy. Ah, those were the days) because I couldn't figure out how to get the little sticky things off that they use to super duper securitize CD cases shut. I mean seriously people, do you really need the plastic on the outside AND those sticky things around the edges? They are every child's worst nightmare. And father's too, apparently. Because I gave it to my dad to open and in so doing he broke the case. Ok, I'm sorry but no. You don't just crack the case of the first CD your little tween has bought with her own hard-earned money and is eager anticipating playing in her boombox and expect her not to be traumatized. Like for life.

And you know what, it might not have actually been my FIRST CD, but getting a CD was kind of a big deal back then, and that event was so memorable, I just, wow, there are no words.

So anyhow, a short tangent, but back to my CD collection. It's special. Let's just list a few (with the understanding that yes, I do have more recent CDs and music. I'm not THAT much of a loser):
Natalie Merchant- Ophelia
Jewel- Pieces of You
Enrique Iglesias- Enrique
Counting Crows- Recovering the Satellites
Stroke 9- Nasty Little Thoughts
Lifehouse- No Name Face
Live- The Distance to Here
Alanis Morisette- Jagged Little Pill
Creed- Human Clay
City of Angels soundtrack
Now and Then soundtrack

And last, but certainly not least...
NOW That's What I Call Music! (3 and 5)- including hits from such notable artists as Blink 182, Smashmouth, Lenny Kravitz, Fatboy Slim, 98 Degrees, and 3 Doors Down.

Wow. That's a special trip down memory lane and one too many awkward middle school dances. But for serious, they don't have music today like they did in "the good ole days" (I can hear my parents laughing at me for saying that). Where are the solid pop/rock bands like Creed, Foo Fighters, Fuel, Oasis, and Greenday? Or how about even people like Avril Levigne or Fiona Apple? Not even a little Seal? Now what do we have? Pussycat Dolls and 50 Cent? This week's top song is Soulja Boy Tell'Em's "Crank That (Soulja Boy)." I'm sorry, is that even English? Or how about Timbaland's "The Way I Are." I'm sorry, but no. You know what, I'll take my CD collection over these new "hits" anyday. Right after I watch Justin Timberlake's newest video. Again.

PS- Ok, fine, I do have to admit, I love Timbaland when I want to dance, and despite the trashiness/incorrect use of the English language, it is quite catchy. Or maybe just because he samples Justin Timberlake. Hmmm...

No comments: