Monday, March 10, 2008

Back in Business

I have decided that I'm ok with the fact that I have been sporadic in posting and have spurts of a week+ periods without posting. I always have this urge to apologize, but really, it's MY blog, so I don't have to apologize to anyone. And seriously, who am I kidding? It's not like hundreds of people are checking in every day to see what new and zaney post Liz has written (yes we have moved to the third-person-referral). Though that would be pretty much awesome. Given that I love to write and truly enjoy telling all my crazy stories, it is actually more annoying than anything to not have had the time to channel my thoughts, but alas, sometimes life gets in the way.

I actually have many blogs half written, ideas started, all in one file somewhere that I think I may not have properly saved (the whole opening-as-an-attachment-and-not-remembering-that-when-you-just-click-save-rather-than-saveas-it-only-saves-as-a-temporary-file thing got in the best of me). But I have ideas swimming around in my brain just dying to be pulled out. So I'll pull them together and give y'all some good good readin'.

In the meantime, I am pleased to announce that not only am I three weeks out of heart surgery and still alive (Hooray!), I have now completed my GMAT and never again have to take a standardized test. Ever ever. Unless by some pure epiphany (it would truly take an act of God) I decide I want to go to Medschool. Which would require the MCAT, the Queen Mother of standardized tests. And a whole boatload of classes I never took as an undergrad because science students at Penn are crazy. Except for my best friend Meesh. Who is awesome.

But I digress.

The point is, I am done. With life. For at least a little while. Certainly I'll get bored with the day to day existence of life in Manhattan (right...) and decide I need some absolutely crazy task to occupy my efforts/time/money/energy, and go after that. It will likely involve something physical, as I am practically sitting on the edge of my seat with my running shoes in hand, waiting for the moment when I can run again. And then I will have another goal, another deadline, another hurdle. I have had more than one person point out the seemingly apparent fact that I am perhaps certifiably masochistic for having heart surgery and taking the GMAT in the span of less than three weeks. But I don't like to think of it as masochism so much as pragmatism. It just made sense... at least in MY head, but then again, I AM the one who stayed awake for and remembered all of her surgery. Get it all done in the dead of winter when the mere thought of going outside gives me goosebumps, when I don't mind not running for 6 weeks, and when I don't mind being locked up studying. Obvi.

So now what do I do? I have loads more free time. To the order of 20 hours a week. Which is enough time to, say, pick up a new tv show and watch it in its entirety. Or something equally useful.
But really, I'm just going to go back to doing my usual stuff... for instance, this week I have booked social engagements (theatre, book club, dinners, lunches) every single day/night. I am beyond excited. Maybe I went a little overboard. But whatever, I am a heart surgery and GMAT surviver all wrapped up into one little bubbly twenty something. I deserve to have a little fun. And have a little fun I will. Watch out New York City, Spangles is back in business.


PS- By the way dad, don't get your hopes up, I'm not going to medical school. Ever.

No comments: