Thursday, October 09, 2008

Splash of Red


I never wrote about my going-away party!  Can you even believe it?  I am ashamed of myself, because it was such a sweet party, thrown by the sweetest of friends (ugh look at my using the word sweet like I was born and bred in this state ahhhh!), and wow, it was a great end to my time in New York.  My excuse is that I left my camera cord in San Fran and couldn’t upload the pictures until a week into ACTS, so it just got put aside.  But in any event, here it is now.  The theme for my party was “Black and White with a Splash of Red.”  Meaning- wear black and white clothing and “splash” it with something red- shoes, tie, jewelry, etc.  I was pleased to see that almost everyone participated in the theme, and there were some really creative “splashes” as well.  

The night was simple- a party on the roof deck of a friend’s apartment building.  Lots of homemade food (even the guys made stuff!), good music, great weather, wonderful views of the city, and awesome fellowship with friends.  Each of my closer friends contributed in meaningful ways, utilizing their individual strengths and gifts.  My closest girlfriends each gave me incredibly personalized gifts that showed a deep knowledge of me and a great love from them.  It was surreal for me, really.  I had always been the party planner, always the one throwing events for others, and there I was having a party thrown for me.  Because I was LEAVING.  I didn’t quite know what to do with it.  So I just watched my friends.  I didn’t know what to talk about with simultaneously so much to say and so little to say, so I just listened.  I absorbed the idiosyncrasies, quirks, beauties, and loveliness of my friends.  I praised God for providing me with such a rich and wonderful community of friends during my time in New York.  I took pictures so when I looked back upon the night it wouldn’t be the blur that events like that often become.  I laughed, I cried, I hugged, I cried some more.  And when it was all said and done, I said goodbye, and got on the subway back to Brooklyn to spend my last night in my beloved city. 

Since I came to ACTS many people have asked me whether I miss New York.  Unhesitatingly yes!  But yet I love it here, too.  I am thankful for the time I had there, the people I met, the experiences I gained, but I am content to give it all up to run after my God and serve him.  People also ask where I would go if I didn’t get into graduate school next year and I finished serving in Romania.  Barring any change in my life situation (saaaay, meeting a Romania stud *wink*), I would say without question- New York.  It is my home.  And while I may never live there again if God has a plan to take me elsewhere, I would do so in a heartbeat if I were led there.  Oh the joy in that freedom! 

To all my friends (family!) in New York- I miss you and I love you.  Thank you for challenging me, pushing me, being patient with me, loving me.  Thank you for wonderful memories.

Girls from my bible study!

Wesley, looking dapper as always

My favorite picture of these two, of all time

Watching the men's medley relay in the boy's cozy living room :)

No comments: