Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ohhhh, Mexico!

In T-1 hour we will be leaving for Mexico.  In approximately 24 hours (give or take a day) we will arrive in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.  I have decided that watching people pack to go on a month-long trip is kind of like gazing into a person's soul.  What is most important to them to take?  What are their priorities?  Take the slightly heavier books or the hair dryer?  Take four pair of shoes or two?  Pack four days in advance or four hours?  Pack so you're well under the 50 pound limit or at 49.95 pounds?  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  

I'm now taking bets on what leg (legs?) of our journey will be messed up.  The 3 hour drive to Seattle?  The 3 hours in the airport before our flight?  The 5 hour flight to Houston?  The 3 hour layover in Houston?  The 2 hour flight to Mexico City?  The 3 hour bus ride to San Miguel?  All of the above?  None of the above?  Let's pray for H.

As it turns out, our first full day in San Miguel coincides with Mexican Independence Day.  And wouldn't you know, San Miguel is the city in which the Mexicans won their independence.  Translation- Party Central.  It'll be intense.  Rock on.  And one week after our arrival we will celebrate Thanksgiving Day together.  For the first time in my life I will not be in central PA for Thanksgiving, and in fact not even in America.  We're packing the pumpkin pie mix.  I hope they have turkey in Mexico.

As it also turns out, I unintentionally gave my mobile phone a bath last night.  In the form of washing it in the washing machine.  It's quite clean now, but not altogether useful. As in, it won't turn on.  So, I am phoneless.  Not that I would be able to use it in Mexico, but if you want to contact me for the next indefinite future, please use the email system.  I'm not taking my laptop with me, but there is a computer in the hostel, and internet cafes abound.  So, there may be less frequent updates, but I will take diligent notes about my surroundings.  Wow I'm stoked.  

Hasta luego.  That's Mexican for See you Later.

No comments: