Friday, January 16, 2009

On Faith

Right now I am reading an interesting book called Jesus Among Other Gods, by Ravi Zacharias.  I have been meaning to read something by him for some time, and now I am finally doing it.  He basically examines the claims of Jesus and compares his claims to those of leaders of other religions.  I haven't read all of the book yet, so I don't want to go into more detail about the book as a whole, but I did want to share a quote that I really liked.  A lot.  So here it is:

"The faith that the Bible speaks of is not antithetical to reason.  It is not just a will to believe, everything to the contrary notwithstanding.  It is not a predisposition to force every piece of information to fit into the mold of one’s desires.  Faith in the biblical sense is substantive, based on the knowledge that the One in whom that faith is placed has proven that He is worthy of that trust.  In its essence, faith is a confidence in the person of Jesus Christ and in His power, so that even when His power does not serve my end, my confidence in Him remains because of who He is.  Faith for the Christian is the response of trust based on who Jesus Christ claimed to be, and it results in a life that brings both mind and heart in a commitment of love to Him.  Is this an irrational or unreasonable response based on all that Christ demonstrated Himself to be?

… In summary, therefore, faith in Jesus Christ is a cognitive, passionate, and moral commitment to that which stands up under the scrutiny of the mind, the heart, and the conscience.  It is not an escapist grasp that comes to the rescue when life is out of control.  It is recasting every threat and possibility that life presents into the design of God."

No comments: