Thursday, November 05, 2009

Busy Bee

It's a busy season here in Iasi, and days are flying by!
Take tomorrow, for instance. This is what my day is shaping up to be:
8:00- Shower, breakfast, and read my Bible
10:00- Make carrot cake
12:00- Lunch with a student
14:00- Teach a piano lesson
16:40- Volleyball game in tourney
18:00- Romanian lesson
19:00- Group dinner
20:00- Bible study
21:40- Volleyball game in tourney
24:00- Sleep

And Saturday:
8:00- Make pumpkin coffee cake
10:00- Coffee cake club with Erin and Hollie
13:00- Choir practice
15:00- Praise team practice
19:00- Dinner and bible study with some Nigerian women
24:00- Sleep

Today was a crazy mess of errands- picking up two packages (which requires schlepping to the other side of the city and basically takes up an unnecessarily large amount of time), going to buy a vacuum (my roommate and I have been saving up for one because electronics are wicked expensive here), and mailing letters- as well as finishing preparation for a Bible study, going to our first game in the volleyball tournament, and doing some research for a friend who needs a surgery. And now it's 11pm.

My life is certainly "not what it used to be" in the States, but my days are full and meaningful. Well ok, spending two hours just to get a vacuum or a package isn't particularly "meaningful," but it's just part of life here and a genuine accomplishment, insofar as I don't speak the language super well and even the most basic "everyday life" tasks take a considerable amount of time and energy. But certainly choir, praise team, bible studies, piano lessons, meals with students, and yes, even busting up the bureaucracy scene of Romania is all meaningful and helpful and splendid. And enjoyable. I'm tired at the end of the day. But it's a good tired.

Speaking of which, I need to get to sleep and have sweet dreams of the carrot cake and pumpkin coffee cake that will be in my tummy soon enough!

No comments: