Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Travel Log: Konstanz, Germany

I pretty much think that Germany is the most amazing country ever. Every time I'm there I love it more and more, and every city I visit I find to be lovely, clean, and orderly. The public transport system is enviably amazing. The men are tall and handsome. The women all have big feet like me. And the beer! Oh the beer. Basically, Germany is a place I could live perfectly contentedly for the rest of my life.                                              This trip was to visit a friend who is studying in Konstanz, a smallish city of 80,000 people in southern Germany, along a lake, and very near Switzerland. As in, I walked to Switzerland one day in 10 minutes from downtown. It's a college town, and definitely has that "feel". But it's also very much a "beach town", as we'd say in the states- totally chill, casual, a big boating culture, lots of flip-flops and flowy skirts. Basically an ideal place to chill out for a week. 
The friend I was visiting is actually a Romanian (Alina) studying there for a semester. Her dorm/apartment is a 3 minute walk from the water. Good study abroad choice, for sure. In addition, my dear college friend Meesh extended another trip she was on to come hang out with me for a few days. I hadn't seen her in a year, so it was quite a reunion. We basically walked from park bench to lakeside bench to cafe to restaurant, stopping at each for a few hours, and talking all the while. Fabulously refreshing. Alina and I are in the first picture below, and Meesh and I in the last. 

Other than that, I just spent a lot of time walking around, laying in the sun by the lake, reading, watching the World Cup and chatting with my Alina and her other study-abroad friends. It was wonderfully relaxing and exactly what I needed. And I would like to go back as soon as possible. 





No comments: