Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Review: Spiritual Leadership by J. Oswald Sanders


This is a book (unsurprisingly) about leadership principles. But it’s different from many books about leadership because it’s looks at leadership from God’s point of view. Sanders uses examples from the lives of David, Moses, Nehemiah, Paul and others to illustrate his points and draw out key characteristics that godly leaders should have and work towards. I listened to this as an audiobook, and I really wish I had a hard copy because there was so much packed into it that I would like to go back and review. Sanders gives really solid ways for Christian leaders to set an example that is different from how the world operates, most notably ways to use gifts and talents for God’s glory, rather than your own. It is an incredibly practical book. I particularly was challenged to think about using my time wisely, “buying up the time”, and never using “I don’t have time for that” as an excuse because everyone has the same 24 hours each day and we make time for what we value. I was reminded of the importance of reading broadly and regularly, of learning how to communicate well, encourage others, not become easily frustrated, and loads of other quality stuff. Definitely worth a read (or a listen) if you’re in a Christian in any kind of leadership position. 

No comments: