Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Overwhelmingly Thankful

While home in the US for a month, I found myself overwhelmingly thankful. Thankful for the silliest  things, thankful for things for which I had never thought to be thankful, thankful for really big things. I didn't feel the sense of entitlement about these things that I've often felt as an American, just thankful to have what I was able to have for that time. But neither did I take these things for granted anymore. They actually are blessings; they are not rights, they are not guaranteed for every chapter of life. And so I should be thankful for them. And content without them. I do think this was a first for me in my two years of back-and-forth between Romania and the US (yes TWO YEARS as of January 9). Here is my list of Thanksgiving.

Ginger Ale
English muffins
Trader Joe's
Heated seats in cars
My childhood bed
Target
Broadway
Sourdough bagels
Root beer
Delivery
Roast beef
Lebanon bologna
The ease of doing everything in your native language
The ability to pay for NYC taxis with a debit card
The ability to get anything you could conceivably want within a 5 block radius of your NYC apartment
The ability to get any fruit I want... in December
Unlimited free water in restaurants
College football
Customer service
Crazy goofy silly family members
Guitar Hero
The high level of trust, vulnerability and transparency of most Americans
Redeemer Presbyterian Church
Massive massive bookstores, all in English (e.g., Barnes and Noble)
Alice's Tea Cup
The hustle and bustle of New York City
The peace and quiet of central PA
Awesome college roommates
Awesome childhood friends
Awesome Christian community in NYC
Thai food
Mexican food
Lot of shoes available in my size (10- monstrous in Romania)
Water fountains
Brunch

Now that I'm back in Romania I can honestly say that I am truly thankful to be here as well. I am truly thankful for the quirky little international community here in this quirky little place. And I am thankful for the opportunity to continue serving and working here for a little while longer. 

No comments: