Wednesday, January 08, 2014

2014 Reading Goals

For the past few years I have posted my "Top" reads of the year, with the number of "top" reads corresponding to the year (e.g., Top 9 of '09; to read past years- 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), but between grad school, all my travels, getting married, moving across the country, and starting a new job, I didn't have quite as much time to read during 2013. I still managed to read about 25 books, but I would hate to choose a Top 13 from among them, especially as many were "light and fluffy" reads when I needed a bit of a break. However, in my hope for slowness and restfulness in 2014, I plan to read more. 

Despite not reading as much in 2013, I still managed to purchase books at the same speed, so I have accumulated quite a pile to start me off. I think I may put a loose "Book Buying Freeze" in place so that I can get through them (Husband: Note that I said "loose" freeze). I'd like to read a pretty broad span of books this year, from Classics to Memoirs to Health/Aid books to Marriage books to Christian books. So. Here is my reading list to start out 2014. I assume it will get me at least halfway through the year. You can connect with me on Goodreads to see what I'm reading and my ratings of what I read.

So. The 2014 Reading List (in no particular order):
  1. Every Good Endeavor by Tim Keller
  2. To Repair the World by Paul Farmer
  3. Emma by Jane Austen
  4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  5. Corrie Ten Boom: Heroine of Haarlem by Sam Wellman
  6. The Act of Marriage by Tim and Beverly LaHaye
  7. What is a Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwile
  8. A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain
  9. David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
  10. Adventures on the Wine Route by Kermit Lynch
  11. The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera
  12. Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis
  13. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (re-read)
  14. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant (re-read)
  15. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  16. Animal Farm by George Orwell
  17. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
  18. The White Man's Burden by William Easterly
  19. Repetition by Soren Kierkegaard
  20. Living Reflections by Gregory Laughery
  21. Why Jesus? Rediscovering His Truth in an Age of Mass-Marketed Spirituality by Ravi Zacharias
  22. Upended: How Following Jesus Remakes Your Words and World by Jedd Medefind
  23. Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller
  24. Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach
  25. The Complete Financial Guide for Young Couples by Larry Burkett
  26. The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian
  27. Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Married by Gary Chapman
  28. I Married You by Walter Trobisch
  29. A Proverbs Driven Life by Anthony Selvaggio
  30. Marriage Matters: Extraordinary Change through Ordinary Moments by Winston Smith

1 comment:

liz.e.bennett said...

I'm so excited to see that you have The Red Tent AND The Master and Margarita on here! I was given The Red Tent by a University of Chicago student as a freebie with my printer (how I love Hyde Park Craigslist) and intend to read it this year.

I was halfway through The Master and Margarita freshman year of college when school reading became overwhelming and I put it aside so I could read it at a more leisurely pace. It is INCREDIBLE so far. :)

If you want to have an email or Skype book club for two (or three - you can include your husband I GUESS), please let me know! It'd be fun to read and discuss with you!