It only took a week for us to have our first failure.
Well, a few days, really. The "week" is in the blogosphere world of reporting.
I suppose you remember way back a week ago to my First Things First post where I shared a lovely picture of our lovely basil plant.
Well, about 2 days after I took that picture and we had plucked off the basil, this is what the basil plant looked like:
We hoped it might rally. But a few days later it looked like this:
Oops. Not so much rallying.
Personally, I'd like to believe it has more to do with the absolute lack of sunshine in this part of the world in January than our own failings as plant tenders. However, this first basil plant came home to us in a tiny bit of dirt, and we planted it in a bigger pot of dirt. This may have been traumatic for our little basil friend. As perhaps was our stripping it completely of its basil leaves in one shot. Alas.
A few days later we were at Trader Joe's and happened upon some already potted basil plants. For the same price as we paid for the (unpotted) first one. We decided to give it a try.
So, here we are on Take Two of The Basil Plant:
We'll see how long this one lasts.