Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hilariously Romanian

While many things about Romania make me smile, I would have to put this recent discovery at the top of the list. Can you see the detail? Because this packet is showing a gelatinous mold with peas, pineapple (egg?), and meat, and perhaps other unseen treasures. This is a picture of an actual product sold in stores here and purchased by one of my team members, probably so we wouldn't think she was kidding. While I shy away from the abundant tubes of meat (calling it sausage would be too generous) and the spreadable meat substances, I must say that I would run for the hills if the pictured food item were set before me. I don't even care how rude I would seem. My question is- who was responsible for the marketing of this product? Are they trying to sabotage the Dr. Oetker company or are they really truly so in tune with the Romanian populace that this may actually entice people to buy the product? I shiver to know the answer. 

1 comment:

Becky said...

I know this is an old post but I just have to say that while in Romania I have several times eaten various savoury items - chicken bits, peas, carrots etc. - suspended in said gelatin substance and it is every bit as gag-inducing as you might imagine.