Monday, March 02, 2009

How People Dry Clothing



It is not a new fact to me that most Europeans don't have dryers. But this method of drying is new to me. The average temperature during the day (in winter, at least this winter) is 30 degrees, aka below freezing. And the clothes are ostensibly wet when they are hung out to “dry.” Even after asking some Romanian friends, I’m not quite certain how this functions to dry the clothes, when presumably it only adds an additional problem of freezing them into stiff cardboard which then necessitates putting them on a heater. But given the frequency with which this scene is repeated across the city, it seems to me that either it serves its purpose or everyone has to dethaw their clothing after it is “dry.” I will say though, I am incredibly an utterly grateful to have not only a washer in our apartment but a dryer as well. This is the first time in my adult life that I haven’t had to schlep down into some basement laundry room to wash my clothing. And I don't have to pay for it, outside of the electric bill. No more quarter hoarding for me! 

1 comment:

Mary Q Contrarie said...

Great picture. We don't have a dryer and live where it is too cold to dry our clothes outside in winter. I have gotten past this problem by using laundry racks. They are great. I can simply move them into what ever room I'm not going to be using and let my clothes dry there.