Monday, September 04, 2006

Bits and pieces

It's interesting to see who you do and don't keep in touch with from various phases in your life. There are ones you just "know" you'll stay in close contact with, and then some you think you will but don't, and then the "sleepers" (as Meesh calls them) who you don't necessarily expect to stay in your life but with whom you become closer than you could have imagined.
As I'm in New York City, it's also interesting that many individuals from various places in my life also live here... I by no means have a group of friends here, but there are at least a dozen people I know, ranging from close friends to acquaintances to those I only recognize as a fellow UPenn 06, for instance. Of particular note, and why I'm writing this entry, is the fact that growing up in my town of 314, I spent most of my time with Drew and Nathan, my two neighbors. The three of us were formative in each others' lives growing up, from birthday parties for our cabbage patch kids, building a fort in the bushes for our "book club," and playing arcade games at Fred's corner store to being fellow cast members in high school musicals and attending District Choir festivals together. As kids we always would say that we wanted to live next to one another when we grew up, and we even chose our house colors- pink and purple- which clearly would look great next to one another. And now we all live in New York Cit
y. I don't think any of us could have predicted the paths that have brought us here. But alas, Drew is living his dream and will soon be doing the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. I couldn't be more proud of him, and I look forward to seeing him perform several times. Nathan is currently working at an architectural firm and taking classes on and off at Hunter College. Taking one day at a time and embracing life with all of its ups and downs. He is one of the few people I know who can be both entirely loving and brutally honest in one breath. And I love it. Though we all live far apart as NYC goes, even just knowing they are here makes this big city seem just a little bit smaller.

No comments: