Saturday, January 27, 2007

New York does it better

Today while eating at the Stage Deli, my mom tried a bite of my Corned Beef and Swiss on Rye with Coleslaw and Russian dressing sandwich and she said, "You know what, for some reason corned beef just always tastes better in New York."
I have been thinking about this phenomenon lately, as I feel like it is (not to be NY centric) a common theme. And I'm not talking about the obvious stuff. I mean, ok, of course NYC has some of the best restaurants/bars/clubs/shows/jobs etc., fine everyone knows that... it's the biggest city in the country and people here have high expectations that maintains this quality. That's not what I'm referring to.

I'm talking about why it is that, say, BAGELS are just so... amazing here. Is it something in the water? I mean, they're just BAGELS... But almost anywhere you go, the bagels are awesome.
Or the pizza. I don't think there's anywhere in this country that you can get pizza like in Brooklyn. And according to my mom, the corned beef. There are many more examples, I'm sure, but I think you get my point.

I mean, of course on the other end of the spectrum you get some of the crappiest stuff in the world here... like say, a hunk-of-junk subway system. So what if it's the most extensive system in the world if it craps out all the time?! Apparently 5 million people who in most other respects demand things be done efficiently and effectively and will not tolerate anything less than excellence can ride our subway daily and forgive the frequent breakdowns, slow speeds,
roller-coaster-esque ride, rude conductors, infrequent trains, and in general complete disarray that is the NYC subway system... without any form of protest or active attempt to correct it. I can't even begin to count the number of times when I'll be on a crowded rush hour train that just... stops... for minutes on end... and everyone just stands there. Not a word. I mean, NO ONE talks. They continue to listen to their iPods, read their paper or book, or just stare into space. You'd think that with the unfrigginbelievable amount of taxes we pay that a subway system that 5 MILLION people use would get a little attention.



Oh, the beautiful contradiction that is New York.

No comments: