Sunday, February 11, 2007

Follies

Last week I had the pleasure of seeing Follies at City Center. This was part of their Encores! series, where they basically have one weekend of various shows that they in essence bring back from the dead, and they pack them with loads of famous performers who basically throw these shows together in a matter of weeks, which is pretty impressive if you ask me.
Anyhow, I didn't know much about Follies except that it had music by Sondheim (I mean, come on, it just has to be decent if Stephen wrote the music), and that the basic story is a reunion party of a bunch of performers who had all been in a show together, years later, focusing on a foursome.

Ok, so basically, everyone in the show was pretty phenomenal. Let's give a little run-down of this cast. And I'll include pictures, because they're the type of people that you (well, at least I) wouldn't necessarily recognize by name, but you know you've SEEN them in a bajillion things.

First, Donna Murphy, whom I thought stole the show. The woman is simply gorgeous, and has a voice that is to die for. Excellent. You may know her from Center Stage or Spider Man 2, or her myriad of TV spots including CSI, Law and Order, Ally McBeal, and Studio 60.

Victor Garber played her husband, and though I was probably least impressed by him out of anyone, he was still pretty fun to watch. It was funny though, because the show went relatively smoothly, with a few dancing errors here and there (it was the dress rehearsal)... then came the last verse of the last song, which Victor was singing. Oh but then he wasn't, because he forgot the words. No friggin way. The poor guy must have felt terrible, because seriously, it was the very very end. But, still good nonetheless. And because I had paid approximately $0 to see it, I couldn't complain. He has been in 105 episodes of Alias, and I personally know him as the sleazy lawyer from Legally Blonde, among other films.

Moving on to Victoria Clark. I mean, she's just friggin awesome. I saw her in Titanic on Broadway, but she was also in Light in the Piazza, Cabaret, Urintown, Guys and Dolls... you know, small peanuts.

Mimi Hines, who I totally recognized but could not place, was also there. She was in Hello Dolly and Funny Girl, and I think various TV and movie spots... I think she was more famous before my time. :) That's her on the left.

And how could I forget Christine Baranski? I mean, she wasn't all I had heard she was cracked up to be, but she had her moments. I'm gonna guess you may know her from the movie Chicago. Oh my gosh, and I was just looking at her biography, and she was in How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Yes! I can totally picture her! And don't forget The Birdcage.

Anyhow, I could go on, but it was just such a fun experience to see all these extremely talented people on the stage together. Only in New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Victor Garber didn't forget his lines in the song. It was written that way to show Ben's breakdown.