Thursday, December 20, 2007

Miggity Magnificent Mac

I am now part of the family. The Mac family. Your resident technophobe has turned phile and jumped on the express train to awesome. I have been eying Mac laptops for some time now because my Dell desktop has been teetering on the brink of PC death for oh, say, a year. Now, don't get me wrong, that PC has served me well, and was a high school graduation gift from my grandparents to send me off to college in style. 30GB style at that point was fine and dandy. But now with my nearly 20GB of music and 4 years worth of paper-writing and virus-collecting in college, plus another 18 months in my apartment... yea... it's been time to let go for many moons. And so, with Jesse in tow to help me in my purchase (I take him with me for all major technological purchases), we set off on the 12 block journey to the 24-hour Apple store on 5th Ave. And a mere 45 minutes later I was back at my workstation opening up my very own MacBook.

Let's just discuss for 3 seconds how welcoming the World of Mac is. Take for instance the fact that the first time you turn the thing on, it is ready to use. No installations, no confusing situations, just pure user-friendly amazingness at your fingertips. Secondly, all of a sudden I felt like the most popular girl on the planet. Because every person I've ever even remotely known in my 6-degrees-of-life came out of the woodwork to assist me in the adjustment to Mac. Because while it is certainly user-friendly, we have all been brainwashed into the world of Microsoft and so now default to making things more difficult than they need to be. And plus, Macs have all these cool little tricks and shortcuts and add-ons that everyone wants to share with you. I had literally a dozen people offer me software and advice and hints. Just like one big happy family, nurturing infant-user Liz into adulthood.

And now the only question remaining is, what should I name my Mac? Because, as I was also informed by my new family, it is required to name your baby. She's definitely a girl, that much I have felt at the core of my being. Now to funnel that down to the one precise name that speaks to the character of my very own baby girl. I need to learn a little more about her character, but I assure you, my baby girl will have a name soon worthy of its noble birth.

This laptop has opened up a whole new realm of computer-usage. It is now a joy, a pleasure, even an art. Thank you Steve Jobs, you have changed my life for the better.

No comments: