Thursday, December 06, 2007

Overheard in New York

One of the greatest websites ever created is Overheard in New York. Because there are 8 bajillion people in this city, the level of anonymity you can maintain, say, anywhere, ever, is dramatically decreased. Unless you are in the silence of your home, it is likely that your conversation is being overheard by someone(s). And even at home, thin walls in converted apartments may just make it relatively easy to overheard your roommate/wallmates commentary on all things ridiculous and absurd. From the funny to the ditzy to the just plain laughable, this website shares it all.
For some reason, yesterday at work we decided that the day's quotes were particularly amusing and spent a long email-thread exchanging our favorites. Here are some of the better ones I/we have seen lately. But really, the list could go on. And on and on.

Conductor: To the passenger in the first car transporting a ladder, please make sure you have control of your ladder, and please don't knock anybody in the noggin. To all other passengers riding in the first car, please be prepared to duck.
--6 Train

Man #1: What is going on here?
Man #2: They are filming the new Sex in the City movie with Sarah Jessica Parker. They have the entrance to the subway blocked off.
Man #1: Wonderful. I wouldn't even know what Sarah Jessica Parker looks like.
Woman nearby: Hi. I'm Sarah Jessica Parker.
Man #1: Nice to meet you. Can I go home now?
Sarah Jessica Parker: Sure, go ahead.
--Outside 6 train entrance

Lady: Excuse me, miss, could you move over a little?
Preggers: No, I'm pregnant. [Lady tries to squeeze in, pushing preggers.] If you push me again, I swear to God I'll give birth on your feet right here on this train. Then everyone will be mad at you 'cause you pissed off the pregnant woman and made them all late for work!
--PATH train, 33rd St

Teen: Iced cappuccino, please.
Middle-aged tourist: Aren't you a little young for that much caffeine, sweetie?
Teen: Uhhh, I'm from New York -- there was caffeine in my breast milk.
Middle-aged tourist: Oh! You're from here! Well... Could you give me directions to--
Teen: --Don't you people have maps for that kind of thing?
--Bread Factory, 785 Lexington

Puerto Rican girl: You know what my mother always says? 'Jesus danced, Jesus drank, or else why would we make a wine out of him?
Haitian guy: Amen! Hallelujah!
Black girl: Jesus wanted us to get down with it.
--Brooklyn College

Girl on cell: Yeah, I'm in New York City... Yeah, it's on the East coast, but it's not really on the East coast. It's not, like, next to water or anything.
--Penn Station

And just remember, these things were said in public, in front of other people, and have now been put on the internet for all the wide surfing world to read. Ah New York, how I love thee and all thy quirky/bizarre/ridiculous ways.

No comments: