Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Summer Weddings: Mike and Jean

Now that I bought a wedding gift for this wedding, only 8 weeks after the fact (you have a year, I’m totally within reason!), I feel that I can write about my last summer wedding.  Unfortunately I was not able to attend my friends Steve and Erin’s wedding, so this marks the last installment of the summer wedding series.  So Crooksy.  And Jean.  On a vineyard.  In Santa Rosa.  Sunny day.  80 degrees.  Basically the makings for a wonderful day.  Mike, being the fashionable guy that he is, was impeccably dressed in a custom-made tuxedo from his homeland of the Philippines.  Jean looked stunning.  Absolutely stunning.  It was quite possibly the smallest wedding I have been to (<150 style="mso-spacerun: yes">  It was simple yet elegant; classy yet not stuffy.  The ceremony and reception were within 100 yards of one another, all at the vineyard, and the evening flowed seamlessly.  And you know how I am about inefficiency.

One thing that I really liked which I have never seen before is that there was no head table- the bridal party  sat amongst the rest of the guests and Mike and Jean had their own little table.  I found this made them more approachable and removed that “barrier” of head table groupyness.  Furthermore, because of the small size, they were able to say their hellos to everyone in a relatively short timeframe, enabling them to actually dance to the music.  I have always said that I WILL dance at my own wedding, and dance they most certainly did.  At one point during the evening I turned to Mike and said, “You know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen Jean as happy as she is in this moment.”  He looked at me, smiled, and said “I know.  Thanks for noticing.” 

Aside from being counted amongst the endangered species of Single-With-No-Promising-Options when I am in that particular college social circle and thereby having moments of feeling inadequate in my singledom (which, let me tell you, NEVER happens in New York, a city bursting with chronically single people), the evening was splendid.  Just splendid.  I got to see a new part of the country, friends from college, and two dear friends tie the knot.  A great end to a great summer of equally great weddings.  All very different, but all noteworthy in their own ways.  Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Crooks for including me in your special day

Outdoor wedding on a vineyard!

My dear friend Sluk, it's been too long!  See the grapes behind her.

Cutey McCuterson

Steve and Crooksy

Stuh-ning bride.

No comments: