Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book Review: The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God by D.A. Carson

When I first read the title I thought I had read incorrectly. The DIFFICULT doctrine of God’s Love? That seems like one of the easier things to understand about God, right? Maybe the difficult doctrine of the Trinity. Or God’s sovereignty AND man’s free will. Or God’s holiness even. But love? I think I get that. Or so I thought. Carson writes that “if people believe in God at all today, the overwhelming majority hold that this God… is a loving being. But that is what makes the task of the Christian witness so daunting. For this widely disseminated belief in the love of God is set with increasing frequency in some matrix other than biblical theology.” The result is that “the love of God in our culture has been purged of anything that the culture finds uncomfortable. The love of God has been sanitized, democratized, and above all, sentimentalized.” Thus Carson sets out to write about the love of God, Biblically-speaking. It’s short (84 pgs) but packed full of quality exposition on the doctrine of the love of God. 

No comments: