Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Book Review: The Princess and the Goblin/The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald

These are two of four books in a fantasy series by MacDonald. I was in the mood for something simple and light, and these did the trick. Similar to the Chronicles of Narnia, these are short fairytale novels that have moral and allegorical threads through them. I’ve enjoyed reading books like these as an adult, because I am able to pick out a bit more of the “story behind the story.” I also think it’s interesting to see the world through the eyes of a child, and often I take away a deep message implied through the story and characters more readily than reading the same message explicitly stated in a philosophy book. If you like fantasy, fairytales, and allegorical writing, these are a great, quick, easy read. 

No comments: