Saturday, February 13, 2010

Book Review: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I just have to say this is the strangest book I have ever read. Seriously and truly bizarre. But I liked it a lot. This again falls into the “I’ve heard so much about this book, I think I should read it” category. It took me a long time to read, and I struggled through the first 200 pages, but in the end it was worth it. I don’t quite know how to describe it. It’s a (LONG) fiction novel about the land of Macondo, founded by Jose Arcadio Buendia, and the story of 100 years in this town, focusing on the Buendia family. Which can be really confusing because they all have similar names. A great way to describe it is magical realism. You think it’s telling a “normal” story, then something totally strange and bizarre happens, like a girl who only eats dirt. Or a man commits suicide and his blood trickles across town and all the way back to his mom’s house. Strange. Once I caught all the names and got into the style of writing, I found it to be really beautifully written, and just a fascinating story to get drawn into. When there are no confines to what can happen in reality, the sky is literally the limit. 

No comments: