Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Book Review: With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray

This is a 31-day "course" on prayer. I want to say “devotional” but since that’s such a loaded word, I won’t. It’s also more in-depth than (many) devotional books tend to be. But each day’s reading only takes 5-10 minutes to read, so it’s not as “burdensome” as the word “course” may imply. Though, you certainly could spend all day (and all of life) applying any given lesson.

He starts each day with a verse or two from Scripture about prayer and then expounds upon what they mean and how they practically work themselves out in our lives. I love that he started out Day 1 with the scripture where one of the disciples says “Lord, teach us to pray.” How truly we need to be TAUGHT to pray. How truly we need to learn what PRAYER actually is. This book tangibly impacted my prayer life and challenged me in many ways. I learned more about praying as a child unto her Father, the Spirit’s central role in prayer, the importance of persistent prayer, how to abide in Christ in prayer, and how the goal and aim of our prayer should always be the glory of God. I could go on and on, but suffice to say it’s a great book and worth reading if you’d like to deepen your prayer life.

No comments: