Friday, June 18, 2010

Book Review: Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis

I’ve read a lot of Lewis over the years. Probably more books by him than any other author, so yes, I was bound to like this book. This is Lewis’ retelling of the ancient myth of Psyche and Cupid. Being a bad student of Greek mythology, I didn’t have any clue what to expect. But now that I’ve also read about the original myth, I definitely think this is an interesting book. It’s basically taking the Greek myth and expanding it into a full novel, and telling it from a slightly different angle- that of a pre-Christian barbaric town. He changes a few aspects of the story, but it’s definitely all there. Of course with a good dose of just-under-the-surface deeper themes about love, identity, and sacrifice- both healthy/positive and unhealthy/negative manifestations of these. If you enjoy Lewis’ writing and/or are a fan of Greek mythology, you’ll enjoy this book.

No comments: