Friday, July 23, 2010

Book Review: Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis


This is the first of three books in Lewis’ “space trilogy.” If you read my blog or know anything about me, you know I that love Lewis. But I also am not so much in love with science fiction, so I never really considered reading these.  Then a few people told me they were really really good, even if you don’t like science fiction. So I borrowed the first one from a friend. And oh my goodness I loved it. The story starts with an English professor named Dr. Ransom who is on a hiking trip in England. While trying to find lodging for the evening he happens across a former classmate, Mr. Devine, with a Professor Weston at the estate of Professor Weston. A few situations make it clear that something not quite right about what they’re doing at this estate, but Dr. Ransom grudgingly agrees to stay for a drink. The drink actually is to drug him, and when he wakes up he finds himself on a spacecraft with Devine and Weston en route to a planet called Malacandra. And there begins the space adventure. I won’t share anymore about the plot, but trust me, it’s good. It’s a short book that is really well written. Lewis masterfully and vividly describes the planet Malacandra and its inhabitants, and I really felt like I was seeing it with my own two eyes. I look forward to reading the second and third books in this series.

No comments: