Friday, March 23, 2007

BunBun

This is a tribute to my friend Robert Wendel Bundy III. I'll never forget the first time I met Rob... it was back in August when I first moved here and there was a big "06 grads" event through church at a Mexican restaurant. Oh the joy of jumping into a situation where everyone knows approximately no one else. But what fortunate luck to be sitting across the table from a chatty well-dressed Southern architect who has studied abroad in Krakow. Woh woh woh and woh. Anyone who knows Rob knows he's not shy in least, and always up for meeting new people and any social event, particularly if it involves food... or sports... even, say, a last minute "Hey want to leave work 2 hours early and go to the Daily Show?" invitation. Rob epitomizes a people person. Rob also is a man who is truly seeking to live out his faith on a daily basis. Adding to it his distinctly metro flair, and a thorough knowledge of every building in New York City (ok, maybe I exagerrate, but I feel that I now have a much better appreciation for skyscrapers), and you have our dear Bunbun. Oh and did I mention that basically half of my friends are from the South, more specifically Tennessee, so the banter over Memphis/Nashville/Knoxville merits is endlessly entertaining. And out comes the drawl.

So you may be asking why I'm writing about Rob. Well, a few week ago he was diagnosed with cancer. Went to the doctor for a routine physical and the doctor felt lumps in his lymphnodes, which turned out to be Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He left last week to go home to Knoxville for treatment, and so, in true New York style we went out to dinner and a bar. Just to give you a sense for Rob's sense of humor, when I asked him if I could try his beer his response was, "No, you shouldn't, you might get cancer." And when we were collecting money for the bar bill he hands me the check saying, "I don't really think I should have to do this. I have cancer." Gotta love it.

His peace about this situation and full belief that God has a plan and will use this to His glory has been such an inspiration to anyone who knows him, and even many who have never met him. Reading his journal entries from his Caring Bridge site makes me chuckle as does seeing pictures of his "mohawk" from when he shaved his head (mind you, progressively, making different styles as he went), or hearing about how he nearly got kicked out of the hospital for having too many visitors for National Corndog Day (which also happened to coincide with a Tennessee basketball game)... And that is why we love our Bunbun, and are lifting him up in prayer on a daily basis, and excited for his return once his chemo is finished. It may not be an easy journey, but I have faith that with the love and support of his family and friends, he will beat this. Rob, we love you, and we can't wait to see you back in the Big Apple.

Here are some pics- the first two (as well as the one above) are from his going away party, and the second two are from our dinner a few weeks ago at Park Avenue Cafe. Rob would be the one in orange. :) I love my friends.

Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the LORD.
Zephaniah 3:16,17 Do not be afraid, O Zion; Do not let your hands fall limp. The LORD your God is in your midst, A victorious warrior, He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.

No comments: