Friday, March 16, 2007

Russian National Orchestra

Yep, saw the Russian National Orchestra the other night.
Can I just say how impressed I was? Oh, and my dad would've LOVED it. There are countless times when I think, "Wow, I wish my dad were here right now, he would totally appreciate this." I've seen a good number of orchestras, but man, they were GOOD. And you know what, as I sat listening to them, I thought to myself, You know what, you can't really go wrong in this city. Just as I think I've really begun to get a good sampling of "what's out there" and feeling like I might (as my mother says) "be bored by the time I'm 30," I realize that no, in fact, I could live in this city my entire life and continue to see as much theatre, hear as many symphonies, and eat at as many restaurants as my little heart (and wallet) desires, and it would still be phenomenal. Because really, in a city like New York, mediocrity is not tolerated. And I say that entirely as fact and not at all as boasting (because really, sometimes I wish that mediocrity was ok haha). A restaurant wouldn't stay open if it was only s0-so. There are 2634 other ones waiting to take over its place. A Broadway show wouldn't stay open if it wasn't quality (ok, Tarzan may be an exception, but come on, kids don't know any better)... and on and on and on. It's just so funny how I continue to be amazed (and humbled) by this great city. And even on my toughest days, when I so desperately wish to be living a simpler, calmer, slower, easier life, I just remember that I am truly fortunate to have a few years here to take it all in. And I try to never take it for granted that I can in fact go see the Russian National Symphony play a Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto on a random Tuesday night. And that every seat is filled. This city continues to amaze me. I don't think I'll ever quite understand what keeps it moving full speed ahead, but, I'll just keep movin right along with it. And hope when I get off I'm still in one piece. :)

No comments: