Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Book Review: St. Augustine’s Confessions

I’m really plowing through some heavy hitters of late- this one is often summarized as “one of the top books of all time”. Way to set a high bar. Furthermore, this is probably the most quoted book/author by my pastor in NYC. Most people who have read it just shake their heads and say, “Yea. It’s just. Wow.” Great, thanks for the insight. Did I mention it was written in 398? How cool is that?! All that aside, I found this autobiography to be uncannily ‘relevant’, if I dare use such a word. Looking past the archaic English, I could have been reading a modern day autobiography. Reading this I was struck afresh with the universal and timeless nature of sin, joy, love, passion, doubt, and the need for a Savior to take us out of our muck and mess. St. Augustine. Me. You. We’re all in the same boat. This startlingly poignant book gives new meaning to ‘timeless classic’ and will not disappoint.

No comments: