Monday, March 07, 2011

An International Decor

Working with and international church has broadened my scope of thinking, understanding, seeing, hearing, and viewing the world. And this has transfered over into my decor. We have these two cool little alcoves in our apartment, and I wanted to put some kind of maps in them. A friend of mine is really into maps and let us have some. They're from an atlas from the 1960s, and it's really incredible to look back at the countries and borders that existed then. And as friends FROM these places look at them, we often get a history lesson about how and why those borders changed! Other friends have about 10 years worth of National Geographics from the 80s and 90s, amongst which I found an awesome "Peoples of South Asia" map from 1984. Here is the wall, as well as individual photos of the maps (you can click on them to see them larger):

Southeast Asia:

Europe:

Peoples of Southeast Asia:

Southern Africa (MASSIVE differences from today!):

Northern Africa:

Way back when I first got to Romania I purchased some cool prints of Big Ben, the Colosseum, and Arc de Triumph. Two year later Europe feels way more "local" than "foreign", but I still think the prints are fun:



And then of course my postcard wall, at least those that I've collected or been sent since February 2010. It has doubled in size since my Postcard Palooza post last summer!

We have other little international flair around our apartment, including a tablecloth from Kenya and a little wooden cat figurine from Malaysia. And don't even get me started on our spice cabinet! It's so fun to be a part of this international community, and I am thankful for the opportunity to have friends from all corners of the globe who have impacted my life in countless ways!

No comments: